I'm sorry for the delayed posting but there was a slight problem getting the pictures to load. Thankfully, the problem has been resolved and I can now write about the weekend adventures as well as those to come.
Friday was full of more meetings as well as class registration. I registered for four classes and attended a meeting about an internship. If all goes well I will soon be giving tourists guided tours around some of Florence's most famous churches. Can you say resume booster?
The rest of Friday was spent hanging out with some friends before walking home through the Piazza Liberta. This famous piazza holds a very large Roman arch. (Below) This is also the sight I get to see every morning on my way to school. Majestic, definitely, intimidating, absolutely, beautiful, indeed. When the sunrise hits the top of the arch in the morning and you work your way around the piazza, it really makes you stop for a moment and reflect how lucky you truly are.
Saturday was spent doing some good old fashioned sightseeing. My roommate Lonnie and I got up early and hiked to the city center. Some of the many sights we got to see included the Duomo, a gigantic church dome, (see above) as well as the gigantic Gates of Paradise, Ponte Vecchio or "the Old Bridge," a bridge across the Arno river that has shops and stalls built on top of it, and a gigantic outdoor market selling all kinds of goods. We met up with several others from the program and browsed the many stalls. After making our way back to the Duomo (after a great deal of being heckled to buy a very nice leather jacket, wondering how to pay for the purchase, and some impulse buys, though not on my part), we decided to stop for a bit and enjoy some gelato in an acclaimed gelateria. (according to Lonnie's guidebook)
Ladies and Gentlemen, if you haven't tried some, you need to as quickly as you can. Drop what you're doing and go get some. Right now. The delicious Tiramisu flavored gelato I tried was like a small meal, snack, dessert and a comfort food all in one.
If I wasn't going to gain weight before...I sure am now.
Later that night we went out to a dance club or discoteca called Twice. Despite the mild deafness I've been experiencing in both ears, mild epileptic fits caused by the bright lights and being lit on fire once by the sparklers the waiters brought as they delivered drinks to other tables, it was quite the enjoyable experience. I may go back... in perhaps five or six years when I've been thoroughly examined and medically cleared again.
In all honesty, it was a good time. We did however stay out a wee bit later than I had planned so Sunday was spent relaxing, recuperating and generally lazing about around our apartment. I was nursing my feet back to feeling after they went just about numb from walking for almost eight hours straight on Saturday and three hours on Friday. I'm still becoming accustomed to the amount of walking I do. Not that I mind, it gives me time to think... and take in the sights.
I'll try and post again soon. However, the next couple of days could be a little crazy.
Talk to you soon
John
No comments:
Post a Comment