Chronologically, this will make the blog almost perfectly aligned in time just several weekends behind.
As we woke up the second day in Venice our gigantic (13+ people) group decided to buy some cheap breakfast food at a nearby grocery store. After breakfast on foot, we chose to break off into two groups. Those that had bought their masks the previous night (myself included) moved back to Piazza San Marco (pictured above left) and pushed our way through the thousands of people in the crowded Piazza to get towards the edge of the water. Here we got separated into even smaller groups. The two girls I was with and I had a lovely walk along the boardwalk until we found our way back to the larger group.
The two groups somehow miraculously found their way together in the packed Piazza where we decided collectively that a Gondola ride would truly complete our experience. Moving back towards our hotel we stopped at a bridge where two gondolas sat waiting for us.
As the twelve of us piled into the two small boats, I realized how unique the city really is. Venice is truly made up of rivers. Where streets would be, rivers are instead. Instead of driving their morning commute, a Venetian could conceivably take a boat to work every day. As we were out on the Grand Canal, the sun began to set in one of the most picturesque settings I've ever seen. (I believe the bridge with the sun setting in the background in my first entry for Venice is actually during the gondola ride.)
Upon disembarking and realizing the sun had almost set on my last day in Venice, I split away from the group and half ran, half power-walked/ pushed my way through the crowds in a last desperate effort to reach the famed Rialto bridge. Luckily, my long legs carried me truly and I arrived before the sun had fully set and took several pictures on and around the famous landmark. (Pictured above right)
Returning to the group we split up once again, this time to divide into those who would be leaving immediately (around 8:00) and those staying for the true experience of the last weekend of Carnivale (and leaving around 3:00 in the morning) Understandably I joined the group leaving early and after a long train ride (and a quite long delay in Bologna, where thankfully we were able to eat something substantial) we returned to Florence safe and sound at around 1:00 a.m.
I hope to catch up to more current events in the days to come and I will hopefully be all caught up by the end of this weekend.
John
No comments:
Post a Comment